Vegetarian Big Mac (burger) by Hungry Girl
I saw this recipe on the Hungry Girl Website and I was just stunned. One of the things I miss eating (because Im vegetarian) is a good burger. Now, Big Mac isn’t exactly the BEST burger in town (please don’t kill me) but its still a favourite past time. But because of this recipe I have to say, Vegetarians can eat Big Macs! plus those who are looking for a hea;lthier alternative to the over 500 calorie burger, well this is it! I hope you have a good time making this and eating it!
- 1 1/2 tbsp. fat-free Thousand Island dressing
- 1/8 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. finely minced onion or 1/2 tsp. dried minced onion
- 2 portabella mushroom caps
- 1 1/2 small light hamburger buns (1 top and 2 bottoms), or HG Alternative!
- 1/4 cup shredded lettuce, divided
- 1 slice fat-free American cheese
- 1 tbsp. diced onion, divided
- 3 hamburger dill pickle chips
- To make the sauce, combine dressing, sugar, and vinegar in a small bowl. Mix well. Stir in minced onion and set aside.
- Bring a large skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat on the stove. Place mushroom caps side by side in the skillet, rounded sides down. Cover and cook until soft, about 4 minutes per side.
- Place one bun bottom on a plate, and spread with half of the sauce. Top with half of the lettuce (2 tbsp.), followed by the cheese slice. Place one cooked mushroom cap on top, and sprinkle with half of the diced onion (1/2 tbsp.).
- Spread remaining half of the sauce on the other bun bottom, and place it on the sandwich, sauce side up. Top with pickle chips and the remaining 2 tbsp. lettuce. Top with the remaining mushroom cap and remaining 1/2 tbsp. onion.
- Add the bun top and open wide!
HG Alternative! Feel free to use 1 bun as opposed to 1 1/2 — just spread the 2nd half of the sauce on top of the 1st cooked mushroom (instead of the middle bun piece). Then your burger will have 194 calories, 1.5g fat, 854mg sodium, 38g carbs, 7.5g fiber, 12g sugars, and 12.5g protein (PointsPlus® value 5*).