Meatless Monday Breakfasts:
Spanish Egg White Omelet
Fill up right with a delicious omelet
that won’t load you down with fat.
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato, diced
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, fresh
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add hot pepper flakes when sautéing for extra heat
- Separate egg whites from eggs and place egg whites aside.
- In small sauté pan heat olive oil and add garlic, onion, green pepper, and tomatoes.
- Sauté until vegetables are slightly soft.
- Add seasoning and keep on low for 1 minute.
- Place sautéed vegetables on plate and set aside.
- In a small bowl lightly whip egg whites and add 2 tablespoons of non-fat milk.
- Heat omelet pan or small non-stick pan and add egg whites in to pan.
- Let cook without stirring for 1-2 minutes or until egg starts to form.
- Separate egg from edges of omelet pan to make sure egg is not completely sticking.
- Swirl pan to let uncooked egg in center reach hot edges of the pan.
- When egg is almost fully cooked add vegetables to center and fold egg over completely covering vegetables.
- Cook on both sides until egg is full cooked.
- Serve with a side of potatoes and fresh salsa.
Tip: By excluding egg yolk in your
omelet you significantly reduce fat
and cholesterol, but you also lose
much of the recognizable yellow
color of an omelet. Try adding a
pinch of turmeric to your egg
mixture to add this yellow back.